Rolex watches are made with utmost care, taking into account every small detail. Such attention to quality is why Rolex has been successful in receiving the chronometer certified status for every watch it sells. In order to retain the perfection of these watches as accurate timekeeping devices, proper servicing is required at an interval of at least 5 years. However, in the case of watches meant for divers such as the Rolex Submariner and the Sea-Dweller, it is advisable to take the watch to the Rolex Service Center every 18 months to test its waterproof status.
In the case of pre-owned Rolex watches, apart from accuracy in functionality, the appearance of the watch is also given prime importance. As a result, every pre-owned Rolex, which we sell, goes through a thorough refurbishment process to correct its cosmetic features as well as its performance.
A Complete Overhauling of Your Rolex at the Rolex Service Center
Rolex Service Centers are authorized centers for servicing Rolex watches. They undertake a thorough overhauling process that starts with Visual Identification Inspection and ends at Quality Control. The servicing is undertaken only after a proper diagnosis of the watch is done for its appearance and performance. Let us take a closer look at the steps taken in the overhauling process:
1. Visual Identification Inspection: It is a standard procedure for every Rolex Service Center to undertake the Visual Identification Inspection with the twin objective to trace any stolen Rolex and to identify any counterfeit watch part. In either case, the watch will be confiscated by the Service Center. In addition, if after market accessories have been fitted to your Rolex, they are replaced with genuine Rolex parts while servicing in order to ensure the quality of the performance. During the inspection, the watch’s reference and serial numbers are recorded as well.
2. Thorough Diagnosis of Your Rolex: The diagnosis is done by an expert technician to identify any error related to the appearance or operation of your Rolex. The technician makes a list of all defects in order to correct them in the later stages of the process when the servicing starts. A visual diagnosis immediately is followed by a testing for the timekeeping functionality. During this period, the watch is tested for accuracy, photo-mechanically in four (sometimes five) different positions for 24 hours. This extensive examination provides a clear picture in regards to the operational accuracy of your Rolex watch.
3. Servicing of the Movement and Other Crucial Rolex Parts: Servicing starts with the complete disassembling of the movement so that every intricate part can be cleaned thoroughly. Since the movement may contain lubricants that have hardened, a special solution is used which helps to change this state. The special solution also helps in dissolving any dirt particles that might have accumulated inside the movement. During this stage, all worn out parts and seals, including the winding crown and the case tube, are replaced with genuine Rolex parts.
4. Cleaning and Polishing: The Oyster case and the bracelet are cleaned and hand-polished. The bracelet also receives repairs for any worn out part, disjoint links, or other defects. To maintain the same standards that Rolex follows while making these watches, the Rolex Service Center cleans and polishes the watch using advanced ultrasonic technology.
5. Series of Quality Control Tests: Once your Rolex receives a thorough cleaning, polishing and servicing, it has to pass a series of rigorous quality tests such as pressure proof test and the timekeeping test. The pressure proof test is conducted on the Oyster case without the movement inside. A special tank, called a “Mariotte” meter and equipped with high tech electronics, is used for this test. Inside the tank, a vacuum air-pressure is created to test the watch at its guaranteed depth. A similar test is also conducted during the making of Rolex watches at their premises. As a direct consequence, once you service your Rolex at a Rolex Service Center, you can be assured of receiving the same quality in your watch as a brand new Rolex exhibits. After the watch passes the pressure proof test, it is installed with the movement, re-lubricated and tested for accuracy in timekeeping. If it shows any minor deviations, a special Rolex device called the “Microstella Tool” is used to make micro adjustments to correct those deviations. Once this test is also cleared, the watch is prepared for a final pressure proof test in the Mariotte meter vacuum tank.
6. Final Quality Check by an Expert: Before handing over the watch to the customer, an expert technician makes a final quality inspection to ensure that the watch is free of every possible error, both in appearance and in operation.
Every Rolex Service Center charges overhauling or servicing fees from the customer if the servicing of the watch does not fall in the warranty period. Once the servicing is done and the payment received, they issue a one-year warranty on the serviced Rolex. This warranty is accepted at every Rolex Service Center located across the globe. It is not recommended to go for the complete overhaul every time you take your watch to a service center. Often, the condition of your watch only requires partial servicing in the form of replacement of crystal, stem, crown or dial refinishing.
Refurbishment of Rolex Watches by Pre-Wwned Rolex Dealers
Renowned pre-owned Rolex dealers also undertake a complete overhaul before offering any such watch for sale. They try to restore used Rolex watches to original Rolex specifications to ensure that they look, feel, and perform no less than a brand new Rolex. For example, you will find no blemish, moisture, scratch mark or dust inside or outside our watches. Apart from cleaning, lubricating and polishing the pre-owned Rolex watches from both inside and out, a brand new parabolic sapphire crystal is fitted to them to make them scratch resistant. A team of Rolex certified watchmakers oversee the cosmetic and operational features of these used Rolex watches and suggest modifications or replacements as needed.